Friday, August 1, 2014

8 months Post PAO

I am 8 months post hip PAO surgery! I embroidered this cool owl. I am feeling much more active and am beginning to wake up with less and less stiffness and leg pain.

My PT told me I was walking with my op-leg turned inward and this incorrect walking was causing me muscle pain and tension. Ive been working in strengthening my knee and walking with my feet straight and feel relief.

I am able to walk and hike about 3 miles now. Being Summer time I am enjoying the outdoors and daily walks. Last Summer I was stuck in bed most days in so much pain and fatigue, what a huge difference!

I still do pool PT and daily stretches, some yoga, some cycling. My legs are looking more even, though I still have weak joint muscles to work out. Really, I think it will take a year to fully regain my strength and mobility. I still think about my hip every day, but it is less distressing. When I squat I am not even and my joint gets sore. Its also difficult to squat and stand quickly. I was going to start a new PT regimen involving weight machines and more intense workouts, but it turns out....
I have gallstones! There is a whole story to this and This has been the mysterious cause of why I still Cannot Sit normally! My hip joint is getting better, but my "deep rib pain" on the same side (Ive been writing so much about this symptom, probably most of this blog) is getting worse. Enter... Misdiagnoses....

When I attempt to sit, my main symptoms are deep tightness, pain, swelling and nausea. I have been experiencing this since my hip hurt 5 yrs ago. When I have told doctors and surgeons about it, it sort of baffles them. I have been told I have a "subluxating rib" or a pinched nerve or bad posture or it's caused by my hip dysplasia or my anxiety. No one would take an x-ray, only of my hip. Finally, last month when I just couldn't take it anymore, I walked in a new Dr's office and pointed to my rib area and said "X-ray this spot." And they did. And right where I pointed, 3-4 Gallstones showed up! I was able to have an ultrasound right away to confirm it was my gallbladder!

Now it all makes sense. The nausea, the pressure, the bloating, the swelling, the pain.... I never made the food connection, but after I was diagnosed, I quickly noticed if I ingested any oil/fats, that "deep rib pain" increases in about 20 min and lasts an hour or more, sometimes days. I have a low functioning organ. And I found out, most of my mother's sisters have had to get theirs out after years of "back pain."

Who Knew...
I knew something was wrong. My op-hip and this littl critter are so close to one another it can be difficult to differentiate the pain, especially my pre-op hip pains and my post-op healing pains. When I sit, I think my guts get kind of squished and causes nausea and anxiety. I've actually gone to mental health therapy over 2 years now because I just couldn't figure out why I have such trouble sitting...

I was able to meet my gallbladder surgeon quickly and am scheduled to have surgery next week Aug 7th! I have been feeling ill and uncomfortable from this side pain and can't wait to get it out. It is done laporoscopically and I think recovery takes 2-6 wks. I think I can handle it...

I think I will be able to start sitting once this thing is out of me...fingers crossed...

I am very lucky that my intense pains all these years have X-ray evidence. My disabling hip/leg pain and side/rib pain are real, tangible, you can see it. It took a lot of going to doctors and begging for help, trying all kinds of therapies and patience. I feel such relief and gratitude. I trust that my pain is meaningful and I trust in my intuition. Sometimes in life... you just have multiple medical issues all at once.

This is my last Summer in my twenties. Just as I was able to really enjoy mobility, my next surgery will take it away, but not for long. I turn 30 in September and I hope by the time that happens I will be feeling good and get a fresh start...

No comments:

Post a Comment