Sunday, December 14, 2014

One Year Post PAO

I made it! One year! I have been dreaming of this day for a long time. I am all healed from my screw removal surgery. I can now wear regular pants, even a belt. No more screw pain. I feel like my joint is also more flexible. I can sit cross-legged longer. I'm back to doing pool PT most days and will start weights soon....again...

Im ready for this year to end. I need closure. I need to start over. Some last little kinks I am dealing with: my joint does get tight and I still have to work on some joint pulling techniques to help with tissue joint impingement. However, most of my hip pain and stiffness is gone. I don't know if I will ever be completely pain free, it may take time and it may always be low grade, which I am ok with. My ankle still feels weak and turns inwards. Ive had this problem for awhile now, but acupuncture has helped. I think my knee muscles may be weak too, which affects the ankle. I wear an ankle fabric brace to bed and this helps tremendously!

I will continue to do PT and strengthen myself. I have been told by several surgeons I should avoid jogging and running to preserve the joint longer. So, I have taken up swimming and soon, bicycling. I do yoga on my own, but would like to join a class soon. Stretching really makes a difference in my daily pain level. I have to keep myself limber.

This has all been worth it. PAO surgery, Gallbladder removal and screw removal. All have been absolutely necessary for me to get back to normal. I feel more pain free now than I did 5 years ago, maybe longer. This New Years, I plan to get my drum kit out of storage and play again, after a 2 year hiatus! I want to get my old bike repaired so I can ride it. Im going to go snowshoeing for the first time this Winter. I am going back to work after 2 years of pain and misery. Ive been doing online school studying Gerontology and start training as an Activities Director next term. Ive had a lot of time to reflect on my life this year during recovery. I want to start a family in the next few years. I want to surround myself with only loving people. I want to become much more physically active and try new things and travel. Life is too short and I am starting to realize that now.

I want to always be content with sitting. Peacefully sitting in my own body and having such gratitude and love. I love my pelvis and I love my labrum...

No comments:

Post a Comment